Buna Ziua!
Well, this week went much better than last. I was kind of expecting it to
be like that just because that''s what everyone told me. I''m understanding a
lot more, but can still barely put sentances together unless I think about it
for a long time. But from what I've heard, I could barely put sentances together
in 2nd grade, and look at me now! And this time I have the Spirit! So I have
faith that I will learn it enough to say at least a couple sentences before I
leave.
Yesterday we got "new investigators" to teach. Elder Crane and I
accidentally gave a 55 minute lesson to our first investigator. We're trying to
get off using notes when we teach and it helps a lot to actually get to know the
people we're teaching instead of just reading something that we're not sure what
it means. Unfortunately for me, that means it takes much, much longer to say
what I want to because it takes me forever to put it together in my head. The
other lesson we gave was a door approach. Actually that lesson went really well,
although we need to ask more questions. We tend to talk too much because we're
so focused on saying the right thing that we don't engage the investigator as
much as we should. Also, sometimes I'm just worried I won't understand
them.
Yeah, so I'm trying to learn how to ask good questions that will help us
teach with the spirit and help the investigator learn for themselves and gain a
testimony. Unfortunately, I did not inherit Dad's asking questions gene because
I hardly ever have questions at all. Therefore, it's hard for me to think about
what questions the investigator might have and it's hard for me to put together
questions that are open ended and will help the investigator the most. But
that's why I'm still in the MTC! To learn how to teach better.
Some awesome things that I accomplished this week is that I memorized "Our
Purpose" in Romanian and I also memorized D&C 88:33 in Romanian! I also
spoke in Romanian all morning one day this week...I really need to speak my
language more than I do...that would probably help a lot.
I absolutely love the Romanian Elders! They are amazing people! And they're
extremely funny which is really nice to have when you get really discouraged.
They always find something to laugh about. Yeah, some of them are a little
immature, I mean what do you expect? Some of them just got out of high school,
but that definitely makes it interesting. Like the other day we were on TALL
(it's like a program that helps you speak better) and two of the Elders were
pretending they were pilots because apparently the headsets look like those
pilots use. Our teacher came in and was like "maybe you should just practice
words instead of phrases." It was pretty funny, but you probobly would've needed
to be there. Anyways, I have a good time with them. They're all great!
My companions and I still absolutely love the sharing shelf and the
give-away boxes! I got a robe and a Jesus The Christ book from them!
And we got to go to the temple again! But this was our last time because
they're closing the temple for cleaning or something for a while. Which is
extremely lame.
I hope everyone got to watch the world-wide broadcast on Sunday! I
really enjoyed it! I was in the choir, but I was standing in the middle of the
girls, so even if the videos weren't playing while the sisters were singing, you
probably wouldnt've seen me. But that's ok! I really was there! I promise!
But I also thought the message was extremely important. Although Elder
Holland did address that full-time missionaries could now use the internet
for contacting, I really don't think that was the full purpose of why they had
the broadcast. They had it so they could address ALL the missionaries,
specifically the members of the church. The members can't be afraid to share the
gospel with their friends. That's where missionaries get their best
investigators. It's also extremely important for members to go with members to
discussions. They are the connection between the respresentatives of the church
who have been called of God and the investigator. Seriously, members help others
in their conversion process. They bear another testimony of the church and of
Jesus Christ. It's not just the missionaries job. So, I encourage everyone who
reads this to pray about who they can invite to learn more about the Gospel of
Jesus Christ.
So that's really all I want to say about the broadcast, but I guess I will say that I think it's a good idea that missionaries can use more technology since it will be much easier for them to get in touch with their investigators and the members. I also think it's a good idea that they're opening church buildings for tours, although I really hope I don't get stuck giving tours...although it would probably ok, I just really don't want to get stuck doing that. I'm not even sure Romania has real church buildings since most of their congregations are branches.
some really important things I learned this week was to trust the Lord. I
mean, I always knew that was important, but that's something I focused
most on. For example, not being afraid to try to get off reading notes while
teaching and being patient with myself and really believing Heavenly Father will
help me learn the language. I also realized that studying the scriptures is way
more important than studying the language. Even when you study the language, you
should be studying the Gospel and learn to help you teach the investigator. The
first week I was so focused on learning the language that I was getting
frustrated! This week I focused first on the investigator and the Gospel and
then the languange. Everything went to much smoother. And I felt like the Lord
was guiding me to what I needed to say more. So for all you missionaries trying
to learn a language, remember that. The Lord comes first, then the investigator,
then the language. I've been trying to read a chapter out of my Romanian Book of
Mormon each day out loud to help with my pronunciation and understanding and
that helps a lot too. Heavenly Father blesses His missionaries.
There is so much more that I want to say! But I really don't have tons of
time, so I'll just write one more story.
On Sunday, My companions and another sister companionship going to Italy
had an awesome scripture sharing study where everyone would pick a couple of
their favorite scriptures and share it with each other and tell why they liked
it. Here are some of the scriptures we used:
D&C 6 (specifically 10-11, but the whole thing is good)
Moroni 8:2
Abraham 3:25
D&C 101:78
3 Nephi 5:13
Moroni 7:45-48
Moroni 7:33
Yeah, you should read them. They're good =)
I love you all! Thanks for the letters from Marshall, Melanie, Mom, Dad,
Sister Roberts, Uncle Mark, Aunt Robin, and Alyssa! Don't be afraid to send
more! I love to get them!
Oh and don't buy any of the dearelder cookies to send to me. Although I am
very grateful for the cookies mom sent, there were 12 cookies in there and they
all have about 440 calories in them...so I'm not too sure what to do with them
because I don't want to eat them all. Plus they give us cookies, brownies, cake,
ice cream and such all the time and it's really hard not to eat the.
So yeah...don't send me cookies =) Thanks so much, though!
Love,
Sora Merrill
No comments:
Post a Comment