Monday, October 7, 2013

Everything's Jolly


7/10/13
Another week at the MTC has flown by! And I have to say, it's just getting better and better! 

This week we've really been focusing on having the spirit present in our lessons and as we prepare. It's crazy how much I feel I've learned, but also how much I feel like I don't know. It's kind of a weird feeling. At our devotional last night that guy who spoke (I kind of forgot his name) talked about the importance of inviting. He said something like, "the human spirit only responds to invitations." That's why our purpose as missionaries is to "invite others to come unto Christ." We don't teach. The spirit teaches. And then it is up to the investigator to choose what they want to do.

That was another interesting thing we talked about in class and in devotional. Heavenly Father doesn't direct us in every decision we make. I mean, it makes sense. He did give us agency. But so often we get hung up on if we're feeling the Holy Ghost or not. Well, like what Elder Bednar said in a devotional he gave here (i don't know when) is that it doesn't matter! Stop worrying about it! Just try to be a "good boy or good girl" and if it is a prompting from the spirit, then maybe you'll find out someday that you headed a prompting. He told a story about how on his mission he gave Elder Packer 20 marks to travel out of Germany and it saved his wife from being taken off the train when some east German soldiers came on the train. Anyways, that's probably some very insufficient information, but Elder Bednar didn't know it was going to help Elder Packer so much! He just thought they might get hungry. 20 years later Elder Bednar heard the story of what happened. so it goes to show that it doesn't matter if it's a prompting or not. If it's a prompting to do something good, whether it be your thoughts our thoughts the spirit puts into your mind, do it!

So yeah, that's my spiritual note of the week. For something funny I'll tell you about what happened in TRC! Elder Crane and I were teaching a lesson on receiving inspiration through the Book of Mormon. I read a scripture about how those who open their minds and hearts will receive more knowledge than those who close their minds and hearts (I think it's in Alma 12...maybe) and I was explaing and said "Noi avem sa inchide inima nostru si inchide minte nostru la primim revalatie..." which means "We have to close our hearts and our minds to receive revelation." I said "inchide" (which means close) multiple times. Then I finaly realized I was saying inchide instead of "deschide"which means "open". I finally switched and we all laughed and then I told Elder crane to start talking before I preached even more false doctrine. And then when he started talking he shared the same scripture I had previously. I guess he didn't realize I had already shared it. It wsa just a pretty funny experice. =)

Well, less than 2 weeks before I go to Romania! I can't wait! Sorry this was short, but I don't really feel like I have much to say. I love you all! Thanks for all of your letters! I have noticed that they are getting fewer and fewer, but that's ok. It just makes it more exciting when I get a letter! I think I got letters from: Mom, dad, marshall and ashley, sister Roberts, Uncle Bob, Uncle Mark, Suzanne (which was awesome because not many people from BYU write to me), and probably a few other people I'm forgetting. Just know that I love to get them!

It was great to hear about Jude's baby blessing. I'm sad I missed it, but it sounded like a very touching experience. I hope he and his parents are still doing well! Tell him that I hope he remembers me and that I love him! Also tell him that I'm the best aunt ever, even if I won't see him for the first year and a half of his life. But you can tell him Aunt Melanie and Aunt Ashley are pretty cool too.

Oh! And Melanie! Tell your neices and nephews hi! I forgot to tell you that last time! Tell them I loved playing with them at your wedding! It was very fun!

Oh and in reference to my subject, Sorella Carter always says stuff like, "That's so jolly!" I liked it a lot, and I think it's strarting to rub off on me.

Well, I think that's it! I'll try to send more pictures today...with captions so you know who people are. haha well I love you all! I think I've said that many times and I hope everyone knows it!

Love,  Sora Merrill


 ...

The picture of me shaking the elders hand...that's Me and Elder Poaletti (my fhe brother from BYU) I see him a lot on Sundays and occasionally other times since his classroom is in the Italians building

The picture of the Elder rockin' the Romanian flag: Elder Harris with his Romanian smile...haha there's a Romanian verb book in our classroom with a picture of the author and she's not smiling at all and the teach we have who's from Romania says that's how all Romanians smile

The picture of everyone is all the missionaries going to Romania...from left to right starting in the back goes: Elder Speyer, Elder Harris, me, Elder Contos, Elder Derdan, Elder Lenhart. In the Front on
So these pictures are :
1) Sister Carter, Sister Smart and I on our first temple walk
2)Ashley Nelson and I on her last Sunday before she went to Chile
3)Me and Sister Taylor who was in my BYU ward
the left is Elder Crane and then Elder French. And this is our Romanian smile picture =)

No comments:

Post a Comment